Roger Federer wins another Rotterdam open title; To retain number one spot

February 18, 2018

It was a remarkable feat for the Former World No.1 Roger Federer on Sunday, 18th February, 2018 after defeating world number five Grigor Dimitrov 6-2-6-2, to win Rotterdam Open title.
This makes the 20-time Grand Slam champion, who will be confirmed as world number one again on Monday, for his 97th title.


The Bulgarian was broken in the fifth game, then on three more occasions as Federer won comfortably in 55 minutes.
The Champion after the match, said;
"The goal at start of week was to make it to the semi-finals," Federer said.
"It's unbelievable to be number one again. This is one of the best weeks of my life."
"I had a great first match and a great last match. In between it was a battle, it was nerve-wracking, but I was able to manage my nerves and the expectations."

This victory ensures Federer acquires;
- 97th career title
- 3rd Rotterdam title
 - 306 weeks as world #1
 - Surpassing the 10,000 points mark for the first time since January 2013
- 7th win against Dimitrov in 7 meetings.


Though, there were worries before the match. This is due to the fact that, any time Federer played Seppi in a match that wasn't the final; he failed to win the tournament. You can call that any name, but Roger Federer has broken the Seppi curse.
Federer, having now won 97 titles (13 to go for the record), is not even looking forward to retiring anytime soon.
He continued;
 "Hopefully one day I can come back to Rotterdam. I'm not sure how many years I'll be playing but I'll enjoy this one. " Thank you very much for the great, great welcome I got this week. "I'll never forget this week- thank you guys."
This also means that, this is his 214th match win vs. top 10 players, and 67th hard court title.
There is no doubt about one thing; Federer will break Federer's records.

Article:@dafunzee

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook